Video Project 4: The Chase/Open Narrative
Concept: 5 points (individual score)
Shot List: 5 points (group score)
Video: 25 points (15 points individual score based on production contribution and 10 points group score based editing, technical ability and creativity.)
Length: 90 to 120 seconds (minimum 25 edited shots)
This project is composed of the following elements:
1. Brainstorm story concept as a group or pair (2-4 people).
2. Write a synopsis and script (individual grade)
3. Create a shot list (separate grade)
4. Video production
5. Edit project individually (separate grade)
Synopsis/Script (5 points total)
1. The synopsis is creative and entertaining.
2. The story is primarily visual, with a lot of visual description.
3. Story follows an arc with a beginning, middle, and end.
4. Synopsis is typed in a narrative paragraph format.
Shot List (5 points total)
1. All members of the group collaborated in writing the shot list.
2. 25 or more shots are listed.
3. The shots listed create a coherent story and reflect creativity in shot type selection.
4. All sections of the form are complete, with clear detail in the description section.
5. Each group member is to have his/her name on document.
Video (25 points total)
1. Performance (25% of total):
You are graded on your performance as a director or an actor. The director/camera operator is responsible for the following:
a. Director/Camera Operator
i. Camera composition (follows rule-of-thirds, proper headroom, proper framing).
ii. Camera technique (color balance is correct; tripod is set properly.
iii. Direction (shots have motion that will match when cut to; actors directed to
give appropriate performance; retake scenes if needed).
iv. Coverage (shooting enough footage to edit, including a variety of shots (CU, MS,
OTS, LS, etc.)
v. Creativity in shot selection.
vi. Screen direction is correct, character exiting a scene to the left of the frame,
re-enter it to the right in the next scene.
i. Delivery of lines (phrasing appears natural; volume appropriate).
ii. Affect (emotional response is appropriate to the character and the situation).
2. Editing (65% of total)
a. Demonstrate competent use of editing software.
i. Effective selection of available takes.
ii. Appropriate use of cuts and/or transitions.
iii. Appropriate use of sound effects if needed for story
iv. Music at start and end of video (over credits).
v. Music enhances storytelling
vi. Pacing moves the story along without sacrificing clarity.
vii. Fade in from black and the title of the production at the head of the film.
viii. Credits at the end list the following:
Directed by _________
Starring ________ ________
Edited by __________
El Rancho Video Production 2011
3. Professionalism (10% of total)
a. Assignment completed by deadline.
b. Prepared for the work when arriving in class and working on shoot.
c. Working well with others